Monday, January 8, 2007

Stupidest Design Decision Ever

Fucking Apple. Check this out. Pages comes with my MacBook. I use it, because I'm planning to buy Keynote, because Keynote is worth it. I write about 30 pages of a story I'm working on (I write a lot; see my culture blog for more about this sort of thing).

Then I get to a point in the story where I need to make some changes, but I've got some good stuff I'm throwing away, and I'm not sure about throwing it away. As a geek, I know how to solve this kind of thing; it's called version control. So I already have Subversion installed; I set up a repository and I'm good to go. Right?

Wrong. The fucking geniuses at Apple decided that Pages would save its files as .pages/ directories, which means, first, that setting it up under Subversion involves the hidden pitfall that the dir must have the correct name or Pages won't recognize it, and second, the much more serious flaw that every time you make a change, it overwrites your .svn/ subdir, making it impossible to put word processing documents created in Pages under version control with Subversion.

What kind of fucking monkey thought that was a good idea?

What do you bet Keynote has the same problem?

(Update: it does.)

Am I really the only geek in the world who puts other things besides code under version control?

ARRRRRRRGH!

(Note to Apple engineers: nothing personal, but that was some stupid-ass bullshit. Anyway, I apologize for posting in such a furious mood, but I'm not actually taking this post down, because honestly, what the fuck were you thinking?)

3 comments:

  1. Not to detract from the silliness of their design decision, but SVK could well be your friend here. It doesn't dump hidden directories in directories it manages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could argue this is more a flaw of subversion polluting your stuff with .svn folders rathen then Apple's decision to go with resource forks. That said, subversion has an open ticket on it, but who knows when it will be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I stopped foaming at the mouth and cursing the fates, it occurred to me I could just wrap svn in some shell scripts that'd zip the saved file, save that to svn, and then unzip it over itself, but it seemed kind of inelegant.

    I'm taking a look at SVK, though. It'd be fun to have an excuse to hack Perl again.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.