Tuesday, January 15, 2008

OS X: Turn Spotlight Off

I personally never use Spotlight, but its indexing process mds still runs on my box. (It's possible that I turned it off completely using a different hack before I upgraded to Leopard, and the Leopard upgrade restored it.) Occasionally mds will use a lot of CPU. Here's a simple way to fix that.



Now Spotlight will not index anything. The process still runs, but obviously it doesn't have any reason to take up a lot of CPU any more.

Update: To remove Spotlight's menu bar icon, do this:

sudo chmod 0 /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight.app
killall Spotlight


(May only work on Leopard.)

Update: I have a couple new machines. One's an older MacBook I bought cheap off Craig's List as a backup box in case anything else breaks. I think it's still got some files in there from Tiger, although I could be wrong. So when mds was churning away despite my chmoding the binary into oblivion, I also did this and this.