Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yahoo Password Rant

I forgot my Yahoo password. I was trying to look at developer info for this thing they made called Fire Eagle. It's some kind of API or developer tool connected to geolocation, so obviously it's in their interests for developers to learn about it, whatever it turns out to be. But all I know for now is that it's a Ze Frank reference - "ride the fire eagle danger day" - and that's all I'm going to find out today. I'd like to know more, but this is what I get when I try to retrieve my password:



Since setting up my Yahoo! e-mail in the late 90s, I have lived in three or four different zip codes in San Francisco, at least two different zip codes in New Mexico, two different zip codes in Los Angeles, and one zip code each in Arizona and Silicon Valley.

Most people don't move around that much, but the point is, I have no freaking clue where the hell Yahoo thinks I live.

Especially since when these sites ask me where I live, I sometimes lie, because it's none of their business anyway.

Many people would see this as a strong argument for OpenID. But as I've said before, I believe that OpenID is not the answer - not giving a fuck is the answer. Password-protecting data on the Web is not actually always necessary. I think this is one of those times. Remember - I needed my Yahoo password so I could read about a developer tool which Yahoo is trying to promote.

Anyway, who cares. If it's newsworthy, it'll show up in a feed soon.