Thursday, August 7, 2008

Jet Lag Experiment: No Food

I'm headed to the East Coast later today, and experimenting with fasting to see if it can defeat jet lag. Experiments with mice suggest that it can, but details about the research are very thin on the ground.



My Google search rewarded me with hundreds of idiotic news sites which were all very obviously parroting the same press release. They all used the exact same quotes, the exact same details (if any), and the exact same background info (if any), with some obvious cut and paste going on in the sentences. With so many people out there whose jobs appear to consist solely of clicking "Copy" and then "Paste", it's no wonder blogs are killing newspapers.



Anyway, the long and the short of it appears to be don't eat for a long time, then eat on the meal schedule of your new destination. I'm skeptical. One problem is the effect appears to take 16 hours to kick in - which means that if I want to be jet-lag-free on my return Sunday morning, I'm probably going to need to skip dinner Saturday as well as breakfast and lunch today. Another snag: a few months ago I experimented with skipping lunch some days, spurred by other uncorroborated research, and discovered skipping meals makes me irritable almost to the point of random violence.



We'll see how it goes.

Update: epic fail. I lasted only until 9am (which is technically lunchtime in the time zone I'm headed to).