Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Giles Bowkett: Double Bacon Doucheburger

A lot of people reacted much more dramatically to my recent criticism of Chad Fowler than I had expected. I was banned from RubyConf and my Scotland On Rails keynote got demoted to "we'll consider a proposal if you send one in." I wrote a blog post parodying the politicized way some people responded and found that some of those same people read that very post and immediately politicized it.

I first thought these people must be insane. One angry critic read a blog post about hiring ninjas to sneak up on Chad in the night and slice off his buttcheeks, and treated that as a serious issue which demanded reaction. But finally after several days, the truth emerged: these people got outraged because I was kicking a man when he was down. Chad's in the midst of a serious family difficulty involving an older relative. I picked a terrible time.

I wish some of my critics would have laid off the furious yelling and just told me, you don't know it, but you're kicking a man when he's down. I would have pulled my post instantly. As it is I feel like a complete douche and the damage is already done.

Anybody who agreed with me or disagreed, let's just be considerate adults and let the matter drop for a while.