Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Screenwriting: Insane Secrecy

One thing which is kind of crazy about Hollywood: if you write a script, your script will probably never be read. But a few scripts become "hot," which means everybody wants to make the movie or be in the movie, which means the script sells for a crazy-high price damn near instantly.

Unfortunately if that happened to me right now, for various tax reasons, I wouldn't be able to take the money. And you really need to be able to turn on a dime.

So, the chance that this could happen is very low, but just in case, I'm not showing my screenplay to anybody. It's kind of ridiculous. I just wrote some scenes I thought were pretty awesome, and I'm only ten or twenty pages away from finished, but when I do finish, I'm not going to show this to anyone till 2009. I'm just going to back it up with Time Machine and start on a new one.

It's really kind of silly.