Saturday, February 7, 2009

Google Desktop: Chihuahua Sweater Fight

Google Desktop is no solution for my web search problem. I used Google Desktop many years ago and thought it was fantastic, but today I think it would annoy me a lot. Take a look at this:

http://desktop.google.com/mac/



One of the things I liked about Google Desktop back in the day was its web history search. It looks as if they broke out the web history search feature into its own product because the Desktop team was busy competing with Apple's Dashboard widgets. I don't see the point of that. It has absolutely nothing to do with search. Google attacking Dashboard widgets is like a hot 23-year-old girl fighting with a little old lady over who has the nicest chihuahua sweaters - and the 23-yr-old doesn't even own a chihuahua.

Corporate feature creep gets so much weirder than normal feature creep.