Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Parents Worried About You? Follow @garyvee!

A few days ago I went to the emergency room and had some pretty scary surgery. Just now, I got back from the hospital. Before I left, I got on Twitter with my iPhone.

I wasn't able to get on Gmail, so I didn't see the e-mail my parents had sent me asking if I was OK. But my parents follow me on Twitter. So when I tweeted that I was in the hospital, recovering, they saw the tweet, and sent me an e-mail.

I didn't see the e-mail. Tweetie knows my Twitter password, but I don't dig the iPhone mail client. There was some weird problem with the hospital wifi, or with my laptop, where the wifi let my iPhone onto the network, but not my laptop. I couldn't use the Web interface to Gmail on my iPhone because all my passwords are secure, which means that none of them are something a normal human could memorize.

So when I got home from the hospital, and I checked my e-mail, I saw the e-mail from my parents. It mentioned "hospital" and "twitter." Apparently both these terms trigger various Google Ads.



Like Stanley from The Office, I have to avoid getting angry because it's a risk to my cardiac health. (Long-time readers of this blog know what a challenge that will be for me.) So I'm not going to preach or anything. I'm going to look on the bright side. Maybe this is Google at its best. Maybe one of Gary's red wines could help me out, with all those healthy antioxidants.

I will indulge in some self-quotation, though. I've got my own saying about machine learning: "Artificial intelligence is a lot more artificial than intelligent." I think this is a good example.