Thursday, June 10, 2010

Zed: Marketing Isn't Lying; Maybe It's Good You Didn't Get A Puppy

I've read Zed's rant, and I don't like it. The content didn't bother me that much, actually, but the traffic boost bothers me. I'm releasing a new video and it puts me in the uncomfortable, sleazy position of potentially making money out of arguing with Zed about his career and my code. I think that's just a bit too personal to make money off of, especially since my codes is prfekt, and that gives me an unfair advantage. I also don't want to make money off it because it looks as if Zed's gone insane.

I only saw two things in Zed's rant that I feel good about responding to:

1. Don't spread [your documentation] out across your blog the way you spread peanut butter on your tiny cock to get your dog to suck you off.

I don't have a dog. I'm not saying I wouldn't do this, I'm just saying I don't. I will admit that the first thing I thought when I read this was, "hmm, that's a good idea, I should totally get a dog."

I also bring this up because my advice to Zed to solve his marketing problem was that he pose for a picture on his blog with a puppy. I just want to say, this is not the kind of picture I had in mind, and under the circumstances, I'm glad he didn't take my advice.

2. Here's a fucking clue Giles, marketing is lying, but it's also about presentation and optimization.

Zed's got a good point when he says that good documentation is good marketing, but this idea:

marketing is lying

is utter horseshit.

I want to address this because it's a pernicious and common misconception, because I've blogged about it before, and because it's where this whole thing started.





Marketing is like The Force; it's powerful, but it's neither good nor bad inherently. How you use it determines that. Marketing does involve shaping perceptions, and you do see lies coming from bad marketers (both bad in the sense of being bad people, and being bad at marketing), from time to time. But is lying the only way people shape each other's perceptions in the world?

Here's a 15-year-old marketer shaping the perceptions of little children for the sake of his own personal profit:



Another way people shape each other's perceptions: teaching.

And with that idea, I think I've brought enough karma into the world that I can mention I sell a video which teaches something every programmer needs to know.