Tuesday, July 6, 2010

There's Mischief Afoot

Update: Freakonomics calls shenanigans.

Right now I'm stuck between two competing ideas. The ideas are superficially opposite, which bothers me a great deal, because I think they both contain some truth.

Derek Sivers:

Tests done since 1933 show that people who talk about their intentions are less likely to make them happen.

(Anecdotally supported by my Grandpa Harold, who spent months learning Italian in secret and then surprised his whole family, while on vacation in Italy, by speaking the language fluently.)

Dallas Travers:

If you sheepishly talk about your acting career only in safe environments after much poking and prodding, expect your goals to be reached just some of the time and only in safe environments.

For now I'm settling on a compromise: I'm working on some things. A range of interesting ideas beyond what I've done before. (But related.) I won't go into detail now, but I might later, if I decide in favor of that approach.