Monday, August 30, 2010

Launched A Little Startup: Email Without The Inbox

Update: Yeah, this didn't really go anywhere, so I'm letting the domain expire. Worthwhile experiment though.


After years of consulting for other people's startups, reading Hacker News, and being inspired by entrepreneurial Rubyists like DHH, James Golick, Marc-André Cournoyer, Peter Cooper, Jeremy McAnally, Indie Labs, Nate Talbott, and so many others, I finally got off my butt and launched a small startup tonight.

Presenting Email Without The Inbox:



Email Without The Inbox does exactly what it says on the tin, to use the British expression. You get email without an inbox. To be clear, I got the idea when I noticed how many freaking times I logged into Gmail to send somebody an e-mail about something and instead ended up completely distracted, with my concentration gone. Frequently, I would end up with my concentration so blown I forgot to send the e-mail that I had logged in to send in the first place. I'd have to log back in again to send the original mail - and more than once, I fell into the exact same trap and got too distracted to send it, for the second time.

That is no longer a problem for me - and it doesn't need to be a problem for you ever again, either. I can log in to Email Without The Inbox, send whatever mail I need to send whenever I need to send it, and still do the Tim Ferriss hyper-productivity thing of only checking e-mail twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Discover the rejuvenating focus and clarity that come from being organized and on-task, and say goodbye to the frazzled stress of perpetual distraction.

This is the second incarnation of this idea for me; the first was called Zero-Distraction Gmail and ran on my laptop as an inbox-less interface to Gmail. Email Without The Inbox works for anybody, not just Gmail users, and has a slightly fancier UI. "Slightly" is the operative word here - the site is minimal and determined to remain so. I am planning to add the ability to import your contacts, of course, as well as some JavaScript to make selecting contacts effortless, but I decided to launch without that feature so I could have the app live tonight.

Check it out! I'm very happy with it. It's awesome and it'll only get better.