Monday, October 11, 2010

Upcoming Experiment: Money Management System

Money management fail has caused me problems in the past, most recently costing me the independence that my entrepreneurial experiments had won me. So I picked up a book on the topic from Amazon with my latest affiliate gift card (I let Amazon pay me with gift cards because I spend so much on books anyway). The book is very badly written, so much so that I couldn't stand to even read it, but I went through it with a highlighter, and in the process discovered a useful money management system that I'm going to experiment with soon. (I won't have time to fully implement it for a few days, as it requires creating several new categorized bank accounts.)

I can happily recommend buying the book, because the content's good, even though the writing is awful. There's a much more readable overview of the system here. With apologies to the author of the book, I recommend the overview more, unless the combination of good personal finance advice and bad writing entertains you for its own sake. In that case, you should check out this guy, who says of making good financial decisions that "it's only 20% head knowledge."