Thursday, February 17, 2011

Your Opinions Please! Archaeopteryx Kickstarter?

Hey bloggowebs, what do you think about me doing a Kickstarter to raise funds to focus on banging out a banging Archaeopteryx book in record time?

The current idea I'm working with is a project that takes a whole damn year to write. I so don't want to wait that long. I'd much rather just go all out and write the whole thing in a couple months. I only need to cover rent, acting classes, food, and some similar basic costs to pull that off, and if I get enough money, I can expand it into a big multi-hour video course which goes into greater detail and really walks you through every step, plus makes it easier for you to get started with your own hacks, and possibly even goes into detail about your options in other languages, especially Node.js in JavaScript and Echo Nest in Python.

What I'm thinking of here is basically Greg Brown's Ruby Mendicant project, with breakbeats, and a music-hacker equivalent to Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial videos (which is a 20-hour video course, really detailed). I think this is probably the way to go - so much cooler than taking a whole damn year just to write a simple book. Ping me (@gilesgoatboy on Twitter, gilesb@gmail.com) and tell me what you think.