Monday, July 25, 2011

Automated Refactoring Is *A* Future

As opposed to the future. You may only see it today in research projects, but consider: there are plenty of COBOL projects still running today. Now imagine it's the year 2350. Who do you think maintains ultra-legacy code?

In a fortunate coincidence, Hacker News featured an academic automated refactoring project today, and I began repackaging a moderately successful automated refactoring research project of my own (which I had hoped to make into a business) for public consumption as open source.

It's just barely clean enough to release, but I'm going to take a little longer to make it something I can be more proud of. So, stay tuned.

Edit: Related:

data mining cucumber features
automated refactoring: this spec passes
current projects: twitter newspaper and automated refactoring