Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Little Hacked-Together Music Sketch

The other night I set up two new synthesizers in what is becoming my tiny home studio. One new synth was actually a used synth, specifically a late 90s Access Virus (original series), while the other was genuinely new, a Moog Slim Phatty. I wanted to make some music with both but my recording setup wasn't ready yet, so I resorted to GarageBand on the iPad via an Alesis I/O Dock.

I started out with this beat, which I did a few weeks ago in Reason. It's actually using a riff based on "Keep You," by Class Actress; I really like this song and am planning to do a bona fide, licensed cover version soon, for which the Reason beat was an experimental sketch. Anyway, I replaced the Reason synths with hardware synths in this version. I think the Reason version actually sounds better, but that's no big shock really, because the goal of the hardware-enhanced version was just to do a proof of concept.

Here's how I did it.



I'm planning serious studio upgrades, but I'm also planning to launch some new video products (to say the least), so all things in due time, etc.