Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sing Robots Series: Current Status

Just a brief note. The series has six episodes completed. People have asked if I'm going to re-open it, and I may, but only after completing at least three more episodes, and probably only after re-editing the existing episodes as well.

I found the biweekly schedule hard to keep to, especially when aiming for high production values. Here's the credits sequence for the new episodes, which I will probably retcon onto the existing ones as well:



Similarly, here's an excerpt/preview of an animated diagram which I use to explain why web sockets can be valuable for scaling purposes:



This kind of thing is hard to churn out on a biweekly basis, because my After Effects skills are not what they used to be.

Ironically, a big reason I'm doing this series in the first place is because I want to get back into using After Effects and get good at it again. Years ago I not only developed skill in After Effects, I even did some hand-drawn animation. My promo videos for Teaching The Robots To Sing have provided opportunities to flex my After Effects skills, as have the videos themselves, but in general, it's really hard to create a new video every two weeks and stick to a high level of quality.

Many people would tell me to eschew the visuals and prioritize the schedule. I understand, but that's not the goal for this project. Michael Hartl from The Rails Tutorial gave a presentation where he introduced me to a saying of Amy Hoy's: "worry about it when you're rich." The basic idea is that perfectionism is the enemy of bootstrapped entrepreneurs. But I've done the bootstrapped thing, back in 2010, and I did it very effectively. My goal with this video series is not just to make money, but also to make something awesome in the process.