Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hey Loopmasters: I'd Buy MIDI Loops Too

I often get loops from Loopmasters Artist Series -- in fact, I've probably spent more than a thousand dollars on that series -- but there's one thing I hate about loop-based production: loop libraries don't ship with MIDI representations.

If you find an amazing bassline (both Nick Thayer products are full of them) but you want to hear it on a different instrument, there's not much you can do.

On a good day, I can figure out the notes on a guitar or a synth, and even on a bad day, I can probably run it through Coda note-by-note, but it'd be a lot more fun if sampling libraries just came with MIDI loops.

Update: looks like the industry-standard solution to this problem is Celemony Melodyne, and Ableton 9 will feature something very similar as well.