Monday, May 18, 2015

Underrated Synth: The Korg Wavestation

Never buy music gear without looking it up on YouTube and Vintage Synth Explorer first (or Gearslutz, or ModularGrid). And never pay for music gear without looking up the price history on eBay for the last three months. It takes five seconds and it'll save you a lot of money.

I recently found a Korg Wavestation SR on eBay for less than $200. Although they sometimes go for less, they usually go for more. I've had my eye out for a Wavestation for a long time, and seeing one in Richie Hawtin's live setup didn't hurt. But to be sure, I checked YouTube, where I found this demo:



It's painfully 90s, and it sounds as if it was made on the same machine that the entire X-Files theme song was made on, but that's because it was. It's also kind of awesome, in a painfully 90s way.